Thursday, May 27, 2010

1938: The year the toothbrush was invented.

And while it was invented as a tool in which to keep our pearly whites white and hopefully free from frequent dentists visits, it can do much more! DON'T THROW THEM AWAY!

Of course this idea was prompted by my recent trip to the dentist when I was given a goodie bag by the hygienist.  Of course, it didn't have real "goodies" inside, but the usual toothbrush, toothpaste, floss etc... (and a surprise tube of chap-stick with my dentists name printed on the side... nice touch!)  I get home and put my goodies away to realize that I have not one but two old toothbrushes.  Of course I ask myself what can I do with these rather than throw them into a landfill?  Google that and you'll find more than  you think!  After perusing some sites and being inspired to come up with my own ideas, here are my top ten uses for your old toothbrush:

Before actually using your old toothbrush, please use a good environmentally friendly germ killing product or boil it (note: I haven't actually tried boiling my toothbrush so let me know if you do it and have weird results!)

10. Write on the handle with permanent marker 
         and use them as stakes to identify plants in  
         the garden
9. Use the toothbrush in your bathroom to clean     
       grout and around the faucet.
8. Use them to scrub potatoes and pumpkins or 
      any other tough fruit or veggie
7. Clean the cheese graters
6. Clean the bottoms of your shoes
5. Clean your jewelry
4. Use them to make unique brush strokes when crafting or painting
3. Run an old toothbrush under warm water and gently brush your lips to make your lips kissable
2. Use an old toothbrush on unruly eyebrows. Why buy an eyebrow brush when you can use an old toothbrush?
1. If you have a cool looking one, turn your brush into a Toothbrush Bracelet  

And if we all replace our toothbrushes as frequently as we should we could probably have a different toothbrush for each of the above mentioned uses!  For more ideas check out:

ThriftyFun
WikiHow

No comments:

Post a Comment